Are You Inspired by Pauli Murray?

Pauli Murray’s life and writings can be so moving and motivating. Have they impacted you?

Please Leave a Reply to Susan Macdonald

21 Responses to “Are You Inspired by Pauli Murray?”

1. I want more, need more information. Why is there no homage paid to this goddess….

Posted by: Lori Mason | February 21, 2015 at 1:43 pm | Reply
  2. After I participated in a race relations forum sponsored by the Pauli Murray Project in the summer of 2010, I started researching the civil rights movement in Durham,in the state of North Carolina and in the United States. I am pleased to report that I have finished my book “Little Colored Girls Want to Wear Pearls Too” and I am also working on the stage adaption as well. “Little Colored Girls…” is the true story about the challenges my siblings and I encountered when we desegregated a Durham City School following the passage of the historic Civil Rights Act of 1964. It is a touching memoire and will be released this spring.

Posted by: Janice Mack Guess | March 14, 2013 at 12:57 pm | Reply
  3. When I was attending Lutheran Seminary (in Columbia, SC), my professor had us to read Pauli Murray’s book. Very inspired by Paul’s story…so much so I did my thesis on Pauli Murray!

Posted by: Annette Bethel | March 4, 2013 at 8:34 pm | Reply
  4. As a postulant for Holy Orders, I am inspired by Pauli Murray as shoulders on which I stand. I look forward to living into the rich legacy of God’s love through service that she has left us. Her legal work for Brown v. Board of Education is the meat of that historic piece of legislation. Truly, she is deserving to be revered by the Episcopal Church.

Posted by: Betsy Smith Ivey | July 1, 2012 at 6:08 pm | Reply
  5. Hello! I have a curious serendipity story to relate.
    I have been reading Proud Shoes. I am new to Durham, but immediately resonated with the Pauli Murray murals and quotes around town; she is ageless.
    We were walking around town, looking for an old house to buy and work on in Durham. I’d like to run a community oriented home and was thinking I’d like to call it The Pauli Murray Community House. I want to invite neighbors in and work with anyone, especially kids and elders (including my own grandkids). I would also like to provide a respite for parents so they could drop a child/ren off for a few hours a week, allowing them to attend to appointments, or shopping or just take a rest.
    So, my daughter-in-law and I were walking around town looking for houses and we saw this dilapidated old place on Carroll Street. As we went around back of the house, I said, “Hey, this is interesting, it is just like Pauli Murray described in her book, this is just like the trench they dug to keep water from the cemetery from flooding into their home.” Imagine our surprise when we found that this was indeed the Pauli Murray homestead!
    I spoke with a neighbor and we learned it’d been sold. Thank you for caring enough to work on this project. I wonder what your plans are for the house. Would my dream fit with your dream for her home in some way?
    Please let me know what, if anything, I could do to convince you to let me live in and work on this home. The legacy she left must be kept alive.

Posted by: Mary Grace | April 19, 2012 at 6:43 pm | Reply
  6. I’ve enjoyed reading Pauli Murrays poetry.

I’m inspired by her depth of reflection and understanding. I love her ability to capture her strength in words.

Aj

Posted by: AJ Norman | March 9, 2012 at 7:44 pm | Reply
  7. I first heard of Pauli Murray a few years after her death. I was one of 4 or 5 white students in an Afro-American literature class. (I was working on my teaching credential at the time, and the class was required for would-be English teachers.) I was ashamed that I hadn’t heard of her before, when she had done so much.

I’ve mentioned Pauli Murray over the years in various classrooms. Usually, my students hadn’t heard of her, either. (Most of them thought Dr. King and Mrs. Parks handled the civil rights movement all by themselves, and were shocked to find out other people had been involved.) I am now attempting to write a children’s biography of Dr. Murray. In researching this project, I’ve found magazine articles and doctoral dissertations, but nothing written for younger readers. Mary McLeod Bethune and Rosa Parks have dozens of children’s biographies. I think Pauli Murray deserves one, too. This website has been a marvelous help to my research, and will be listed in my bibliography.

Posted by: Susan Macdonald | February 12, 2012 at 4:01 pm | Reply
  8. Although I’ve studied the civil rights movement of the 1930s, I had never heard of Pauli Murray until I read Glenda Gilmore’s DEFYING DIXIE. Now I’m on a campaign to read Murray’s books and to learn more about her. She is someone I would love to have met, talked to. I once met one of the two women who were with James Meredith. THEY integrated Old Miss, too, right alongside him. But did we hear about them? Women may b earning more on the dollar now than when NOW was founded, but we have yet to claim our place in history. I empathize with Pauli Murray, not only Black, but also a woman and, even more grist for the bigotry mill, a lesbian. Talk about a triple whammie. That she accomplished what she did is inspiring, humbling and exciting, all at the same time. Thank you for setting up this web site. It is an excellent place to start to learn about this remarkable woman.

Posted by: Ramona K Silipo | June 2, 2011 at 12:46 pm | Reply
  9. Here is a forerunner of Rosa Parks, Fannie Lou Hamer, Ella Baker – and so many other women who played a significant role in the civil rights movement and women’s movement. She should be in every history book, but like so many has been overlooked.

Posted by: Neil Wynn | May 30, 2011 at 11:19 am | Reply
  10. Street art is reali reali cool. It’s what I love love love.

Posted by: Andrew Piscacane | December 8, 2010 at 1:53 pm | Reply